How often do we talk about eternity? Not a passing platitude about heaven but a real, engaging, interesting, thought-provoking, heart-probing conversation about the life that will last SOOOOooooo much longer than the one we’re living now. If you’re like us- not really all that often. However, we’ve found something to help, for a while. Keep reading to find out more!
We heard an interview on TV with this young man, Colton Burpo and his pastor-father, Todd, and we were intrigued. My husband ordered the book and we began reading it aloud, one chapter at a time, to the kids. The first few chapters are background and build-up, so the book started just a bit slow for us (after all the hype). But we kept with it- reading a little extra so we could “get to the good stuff”! Once we did, we slowed back down so we could really digest it and meditate on it.
The value of this book, for our present-day culture, cannot be overstated. Our fast-paced livess which tend to discount anything not empirical or scientific need this book. So, enough hype. Here’s MY top five reasons why you should checkout, borrow, or buy this book:
- This book will minister to your spirit.
- This book will take your eyes off the temporal and re-focus them on the eternal.
- This book will increase and challenge your knowledge of what Scripture says about heaven.
- This book will open up deep conversations with your children about eternal life.
- And this book will remind you that staying on earth, in these mortal bodies, is not the goal. I pray that it will make you long for heaven and say with Paul, “to live is Christ and to die is gain.” (Phil. 1:21)
Do you need more reasons? Get online and request it from the library or head over to Amazon and get your own copy. If you do, after you read it with your family, you can pass it on to another and keep the renewal going.
I imagine that you know someone who needs a clearer picture of heaven. A REAL picture that reminds us of all we have waiting for us there. A friend with cancer? Someone who is grieving the loss of a loved one? Someone who is questioning their faith? Here is a wonderful opportunity. This book has been covered on national news and is on the NY Times Bestseller list. It’s been “mainstreamed” for us. We just have to talk about it.
God bless your family with faith to see with the eyes of a child as you read the inspirational story of Colton’s time in heaven.